Forums

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Jump map video tutorial  (Read 1462 times)
Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
Just skipped through and noticed one thing, in that level all the faces (or most of them, just the ones i saw) you put nodraw on get ignored anyways, so you could just save yourself the work.

Yea someone told me already... I really don't know why I keep nodrawing things that don't matter. I gotta mention it in the next part.

and @duppy no big deal.

---------------------------

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
quba, not entirely true, afaik the compiler wil indeed decide to ignore them if they arent on the side where an entity is (ie the inside seeable bits) but... if its textured, it needs to go over the code that checks wether it should ignore it or not.. whereas if its nodraw thats not needed at all since it'll ALWAYS ignore it.

this however is only usefull for the mapper since it only helps compile times... but i like it.. since i tend to compile very very often the further along i get into mappin a map

(its minimal, but ofc just like with money.. thousands of cents is still a lot of money, thousands of times going over 1 or 2 lines of codes is equal to a small program.)

Edit: ye im also like xdias, just use nodraw for geometry and fill in seeable textures later
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:27:17 AM by CrancK »

---------------------------

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
And if you have the habit, like i do (and i think drexen as well), to map from root with nodraw and texture the visible parts after, instead of "nodrawing" last, it actually takes no effort at all.

tl:dr i map with nodraw, and i may even only apply textures after having several jumps created

Maggot

ok, first of all: FINALLY SOMEONE DID THIS...

i dont agree on a few of your techniques though:

first thing: when blocking out the basics of your map, pleeeeeeeaaaaase use a larger grid size... pretty pls?

has several pros:
1. its a lot easier to align blocks to each other
2. its easier to keep an overview, when everything aligns nicely and has a basic... size...
3. textures auto-align as long as grid size is a multiple of the scaled textures size

so to all you new mappers out there: USE A LARGER GRID SIZE.... its like painting a painting, you dont start zoomed in with a small brush, you get a large brush and outline basic shapes first, its the same when mapping.

second: i totally do not agree with the: 3 blocks, make hollow, carve - thingie...
making the outlining blocks yourself gives you far more control about optimization, as well as saving blocks.
you couldve just outlined the jump with 9-11 blocks and gotten the same result, with a much cleaner grid - and tbh... placing 11 blocks on a large grid size is probably about the same speed as placing 3 and carving them up on a small one, and you get to think about how you want the outlines to look, instead of just getting generic connected boxes...

also your compile time will thank you for keeping geometry clean - no not-on-grid vertices, overlapping faces and stuff... those things can make the compile go ham, if you have too many.

And last but not least: if you have to change your outlining geometry later, like for detailing purposes (for example to set texture lights into it *cough, cough, bad experiences, cough*), clean brushwork will speed that up tremendously, and make it a ton easier.

rest is pretty basic, but probably really useful for new mappers to have in video form, so thanks for making that, looking forward to your last room, and the finished work :3

keep it up, laters :)

Pages: 1 [2]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC